Thursday, August 30, 2012

Long Weekend!




Saturday

Shanghai Garage Sale

    The Shanghai Restaurant is cleaning out their basement and is having a huge garage sale. You may be thinking to yourself “Why would I need a bunch of restaurant stuff?” Answer: because it's not just a bunch of restaurant stuff! There'll be lamps, vintage plates, aprons, furniture, teacups, and more.
    There will also be refreshments (a must for any event worth leaving your house for) and entertainment — Django Libre will be playing alongside Ottawa's famous China China Doll.
Shanghai Restaurant, 651 Somerset Street West. 10 a.m. 613-233-4001

Serbian Festival

    There's an old Serbian saying that goes do not measure the wolf's tail till he is dead.
    If you have no idea what that means seek answers at the 2012 Serbian Festival at the Serbian Orthodox Church.
    There is going to be lots of sports tournaments, arts&crafts for children, Serbian folk dancing lessons, and food. Oh, the food.
Serbian Orthodox Church, 3662 Albion Road. 9a.m. (but food service starts at noon) -10p.m. Free Admission. 613-738-8045.
serbianfest.scetistefan.ca

All Weekend

Whales Tohorā

      You've had since March. This is the last weekend to behold the undersea world of whales. This incredibly interactive and visually striking exhibit explores the relationship between humans and whales, the relatives of the whale such as porpoises and dolphins, and the future of the species. There is no photography allowed so bring your sketch pad or turn the flash on your iPhone off.
Canadian Museum of Nature, 240 McLeod Street. 9a.m.-6p.m. $12.00. 613-566-4700

Psychic, Mystic, and Seers Fair

   I am such a sucker for this sort of entertainment.
   “Dana, we should totally have our palms read.” 
   “Pssht,” says I.

   But I am putty in their hands. I want the seer to be right so bad that I'll coax them along to the correct answer. I wander away totally ready to use my new information to my grand advantage.
   It isn't until later that I'll get all squinty-eyed and suspicious.
   I'm not an only child... I have a dog, not a cat... I hate shellfish.
...hey....
   It doesn't matter, though. I 'll go back every time. And I'll leave with an energy-crystal, dammit.
   I expect this to be great fun.
Nepean Sportsplex, 1701 Woodroffe Avenue. Friday 4p.m.-10p.m., Saturday 11a.m.-10p.m., Sunday 11a.m.-7p.m., Monday 11a.m.-6p.m. I don't know what the admission costs so bring $20 cash, just in case. 613-580-2828.

La Petite Mort Gallery presents The Price of Sex by Mimi Chakarova

   The Price of Sex is a photogrpahy project outlining the lives of many —predominately Eastern European — women who have been manipulated or threatened into sexual slavery.
   She outlines incredible statistics, the recruiting process, and interviews women in the industry.
   Check out the trailer 
La Petite Mort Gallery, 306 Cumberland Street. Exhibit August 31st through September 30th. Free Admission. 613-860-1555.
 www.lapetitemortgallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment