Friday, May 25, 2012

May 19 Weekend Review

   In the spirit that inspires this blog I visited one of the events from this past weekend. I give Victoria Day Weekend Celebration ZERO out of eight elated children but nine out of eight disappointed and emotionally damaged children.

   This weekend was set to be the perfect weekend. The weather was beyond gorgeous, the city was a-buzzin’, and I finally convinced the boyfriend to tag along on one of the blog activities.

At laaaaast

    We decided to head down to the Victoria Day Weekend Celebration (VDWC) on the corner of Preston and Carling. There were throngs of people wandering around, couples lounging in the shade under trees, and kids running up and down the boardwalk on Dows Lake.

   The park we wound up in was in full Tulip Festival bloom. It was so beautiful. With no real schedule and the unfounded confidence that we would eventually find the entrance to the VDWC we leisurely took in the sights:

adorable lemonade stands…



the Man With Two Hats…

how many hats do you have?

    After our third tour around the park we were still not in any VDWC. No midway, petting zoo, or carnival games in sight. We became unnerved. Paranoid, even. We turned and turned, returning to locations we had checked before, followed an Indian family from a distance, and stood on the corner of Preston and Carling with our necks craned and our eyes strained. All the while, the wretched Tulip Festival was swallowing us whole and not being the VDWC.


   




   Lost and beaten, we gave up on ever finding the celebration. We found a neighbourhood patio instead and drowned our sorrows…

… until we went to go to Absolute Comedy (on Preston) to have some yuks!

   The only other time I’ve been to a comedy club I can’t recall because of the beer. I was excited that a heckler might be there. A sick little part of me was frothing to see an awkward public failing.

   There was no failing. The comics were ridiculously funny. I slapped my knee! I wish I could recall a single joke to steal for my own use.

   The opener was a gentleman named Guido Cocomello. If you ever get an opportunity to see him — GO*. I wish his set was longer and that he lived in my pocket.

"aaayyyy."

      The emcee (Harry Doupe…?) was adorable and the headliner, Ryan Belleville, was really great from what I was told, though I can’t be sure. They should water down the beer at comedy shows.

   Absolutely exhausted, we piled into a cab to finally head home. We sat reflecting on our day when the car took the first turn toward home...


...












*June 11th, keep an eye on the website for details

2 comments:

  1. Wait! What happened?? Were you in the wrong area?? I need to know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Paul! It was around the corner from where we were the whole time! Hidden behind some clever shrubbery.

      Delete